Date(s) - 08/06/2019 - 09/06/2019
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Art Course in Cornwall
- Beginners Watercolours
- painting class in Devon
- watercolour break
- watercolour class for beginners
- watercolour for beginners class
- Watercolour Gift Vouchers
- watercolour tuition
- Watercolour Workshops
Watercolour for “Absolute Beginners”
Featured as one of Woman & Home magazine’s “Life Changing Courses”
Sarah’s explanations of both how and why you do things in a certain way are brilliant. An inspirational teacher who so obviously adores her subject. Jill , York
To watch the intro video for this course click the link… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7tvXiRAHM
So you’ve never picked up a brush before, you’ll be an absolute beginner in watercolour but you’ve always wanted to have a go. I’m with you… 🙂
No need to be able to draw, and no need to feel nervous: you’ll be among people feeling exactly like you. We’ll have tea & biscuits & a giggle when you arrive, then prepare to be spellbound.
” Sarah is a wonderful teacher – she does lots of demonstrating and guides you through all the basics of watercolour painting, so that you feel confident that you can actually paint … with paints … on proper paper … with a brush … and know what you’re doing! ” Kirsty
Let the Watercolour Magic Begin!
I’ll be showing you the absolute essential things you need to do to start painting in watercolours. Nothing complicated: just beautiful and logical ways to mix water and colour together in the perfect consistency; some simple ways to use your brushes to apply it; and some super-simple demonstrations, tips and ideas to create your own contemporary style watercolour paintings.
You’ll even receive a helpful handout talking you through all the things you’ve learned to take home with you.
My Watercolour for Absolute Beginners Workshop is designed for people exactly like you, with no experience of painting in watercolours at all. We’ll be starting from the ground up and I’ll be explaining absolutely everything:
why watercolour is so special (because it really is!),
what the absolute basic materials are you’ll need and why,
and the simplest and most effective ways to use them.
When it comes to Watercolours my mantra is: “Keep it Loose and Juicy…”
This is a two day class with all your high-quality art materials for success included: your learning curve will amaze you….
Here’s what you’ll learn about on the Watercolour for “Absolute Beginners” Class:
- The basic materials you need to paint in watercolour (I’ll provide you with a materials list, too, and the details of my favourite supplier)
- Paint consistency: I’ll show you how to achieve the dilution to make your watercolour really flow…
- Which colours are easiest to work with (I won’t introduce you to the naughty ones…:)
- How to “erase” your watercolour mistakes
- How to use your brush in different ways
- How to paint simple flowers, leaves and berries with just a few twists of the brush
- How to create white highlights without using white paint
- What “Paper bridges” are and why they’re essential for watercolourists
- The cheat’s way to paint a simple watercolour sky that looks wildly impressive
- Lavender field and Mediterranean houses
And as if that’s not enough, I’ll even have a little gift for you on this course. You’ll go home with a clear presentation folder with glossy plastic sheets to keep your new works of art looking beautiful; keep them safely, and to store your information handouts. Having come to a Beginners Class, like most people, you’ll probably want to practise at home, and come along to more classes to learn even more, so your presentation folder will help you track your progress and keep everything to hand in one place.
All your art materials are included in the fee but please bring your own packed lunch
- More than thirty years of Sarah’s experience. Priceless!
- All your art materials and equipment including watercolour paper, tubes of the correct paint colours, brushes, palettes, boards, etc.
- Basic tea and coffee. (If you drink particularly exotic teas, or use non dairy then please remember to bring some along 🙂
- The hall has a generous free carpark and is disabled friendly.
- Lots of fun and laughter in addition to the art tuition. The workshops have a lovely atmosphere of calm and study , but also lots of moments of friendship and laughter.
And not included?
Accommodation ( I can email you a list of possibilities in the area)
Lunch. Please bring along a packed lunch: there are no shops on the village to grab a sandwich from.
2 days: Fee £180.
Deposit of £72 to be paid online, the final £108 to be paid on the day.
Please be warned: my courses fill up very quickly !
I hate to disappoint my students….. so if this course is full you may find the same course running here in a later month or at my other venue in Cornwall so do check the general dates page if you’re desperate to learn!
Clarence House, Clarence Street, Penzance, TR18 2PA (Detailed direction in introduction email)
About this class:
This class aims to show keep things as simple as possible. You’ll be working with a set of six tube paints, and you don’t need to know how to mix colours. We will just be adapting colours if we need to on this class.
If you desperately want to learn how to mix colours from scratch then you might want to sign up for the Beginners +1 workshop instead, where we concentrate much more on the art of creating our own colours from just three tubes, and wet in wet technique. However, you’ll get a better overview of the two main watercolour techniques from this course for Watercolour for Absolute Beginners.
This event is fully booked.